11.0 Conic Sections: Objectives
The concepts that are defined and discussed in this module
After completing this module you will be able to
- Conic sections: circle, ellipse, parabola, hyperbola
- Standard position for each of the conic sections
- Radius and center of a circle
- Focus, directrix, and axis of symmetry of a parabola
- The foci, major and minor axes, center, and vertices of an
- The foci, branches, vertices, center, transverse and
conjugate axes, and asymptotes of a hyperbola
- Recognize the conic sections from their functions in standard from and from their graphs.
- Convert a function of a conic section to standard form to determine whether it yields a circle,
a parabola, an ellipse, or a hyperbola.
- Graph each of the conic sections from its function in
- Create the function of a conic section, given information
on its important points and distances.